Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Soul Watch

For a great read on one Memphis' best local soul DJs, check out this profile in the Commercial Appeal on our own DJ Buck Wilders:

http://commercialappeal.com/mca/live_music/article/0,1426,MCA_508_5420093,00.html

An excerpt:

McCalla's (aka DJ Buck Wilders) evolution from classic rock hound to old-school crate digger was a gradual one. "What I liked the most out of the rock stuff I found was '60s garage music like The Count Five's 'Psychotic Reaction,' -- that blew me away. I decided I wanted to buy more stuff like that," says McCalla. "The more garage rock stuff I bought, the more I realized half of it was R&B and soul covers. Which kind of led me backwards out of that and into collecting blues and gospel. By the time I was 20, I was spending every cent and every second I had buying records."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home